Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The Vanishing Point

Runaway autumn leaves
Sweep the empty yard
Tumbling helter skelter
Like a pack of falling cards.
Darkness looms foreboding
from the hazy distance
Lacing up your boots you sigh
and pause for an instance.
I shudder against myself
as the chilly wind blows,
my sad heart freezes over
as your trepidation grows.
I hold the door open
but you won't follow me outside.
Your face belies some longing
but your reluctance you can't hide.

You ask why you have to earn
What is well within your grasp
You say I am yours to keep
And I sadly laugh.
In your happy fool's paradise
All is as you will it to be.
a guarded fence, a locked soul
define your need for security.
even if i drowned you in my tears
you wouldn't let me in,
your innocent eyes would try me
and chide me for trespassing.
So I take to the empty road
Stones tied to my shaky feet.
Your mouth vehemently protests
and asks me not to leave.
But you don't scrape the rust off
my downbeat eroded faith.
Waiting to argue for my reasons,
will only get me delayed.

As evening descends on both of us
it mourns the dying sun,
I know my lonely journey
has only just begun.
The swinging doors close upon you
and brings out the great disjoint
I know your gaze won't follow me
beyond the vanishing point.

No comments: